Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Urban Oasis # 4: A Burst of Color in Boston

Visitors to Boston's Seaport District will find some beautiful flowering plants, in addition to great views of the harbor.
The more I pay attention to the trees, shrubs and flowers around the city of Boston the more I am struck by the diversity of urban plant life around me. All along the Rose Kennedy Greenway and throughout the Boston Public Garden there are amazingly colorful flowers that catch the eye and delight the senses. These plants are of course not only beautiful to look at, but they also provide a source of food and shelter for birds, butterflies and insects that have found a home in these small green patches set amidst expanses of pavement and concrete. On my walk to work this morning I came across two separate areas which has particularly vibrant red flowers so I stopped to take a closer look - if anyone  out there can identify the flowering plants in these photos I would love to hear from you.


All along the Rose Kennedy Greenway visitors will find a wide variety of trees, shrubs and flowering plants.
Sometime this summer I plan to expand my urban ecology explorations and try to photograph some of the great plants and birds that call the Boston Public Garden home.

Thanks for reading.

Copyright Daniel E. Levenson 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment