Sunday, January 13, 2013

Watching feeders at Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary

Today I spent some time at Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary, watching the bird feeders both outside the nature center and along one of the trails. I had seen reports of Redpolls and Siskins at the sanctuary, and I was hoping that with a little patience and no small measure of luck, I might get a glimpse of these uncommon northern birds. As I got out of my car I could already see that there was a lot of activity at and around the feeders - Chickadees, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches and Tufted Titmice were swooping in and out, grabbing seeds, occasionally quarreling with one another over a prime spot at one of the feeders.

A Black-capped Chickadee visits a bird feeder at Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary in Sharon, Massachusetts. These small, gregarious birds are a common sight in backyards and other suburban locations. Image copyright Daniel E. Levenson 2013.
As much as I searched for any signs of the siskins or Redpolls, I had no luck. I did, however, get to add species #48 to my list for the year - a very nice Carolina Wren. I had seen a Carolina Wren in the same location back in December, and I'm guessing this is the same continuing bird. It moved too quickly for me to get a photo, but I did get a great look at it through my binoculars. A quick check of the surrounding woods turned up several Northern Cardinals, more Chickadees and Titmice and a Brown Creeper. I suspect that the siskins and Redpolls are still around somewhere. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take another look in the area next weekend.

Thanks for reading.

Copyright Daniel E. Levenson 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment